The Organist-Choir Director

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Batting average: 296, Salary: $20 million

     My father loved baseball. Like yesterday, I can see the car door ajar and hear the radio blaring as Dad washes his 1956 white-and-turquoise Ford Fairlane on Sunday afternoon. I can tell by his grin that the Yankees are beating the Red Sox and "All's well in the world".
     Now I live in FL and follow the Tampa Bay Rays religiously. (Is that word OK here?) I don't cheer the Yankees any more.  How could I if I'm a Rays fan? Whether at the stadium, on TV or via the Internet on mlb.tv, I rarely miss a Rays game. At this time of year before baseball resumes, I read every word about the upcoming season.  Who are the new players? How about that new AstroTurf at Tropicana Field? Is a guy who's just playing baseball, not a rocket scientist or a church organist, worth all that money? 
     Did you see how Carl Crawford, who was a Ray from 2002 - 2010, was lured to the Boston Red Sox by a seven-year, $142 million contract?  It makes me breathless even to type that large number.  It's like sightreading while simultaneously transposing a Franck chorale up a minor third. That's so much moola that I need a cardiac stabilizer device!
     Can you imagine getting millions of dollars for only hitting the baseball less than one-third of the time? That means you can miss the ball two-thirds of the time and still be a rich, entitled person. And Carl's 296 batting average last year is high. An average player hits in the neighborhood of twenty per cent of the time.
     What about church organists? What if they played a hymn and missed two-thirds of the notes? Would they still have a job?  Would they still warrant their salary, every penny of their often starvation wages without benefits? Or would the board of directors or trustees meet to deal with the situation?
     Most organists have a crazy-kind of job security.  No - they don't get fired.  Who else could play even half the notes?  No, the board of trustees or deacons or directors convenes to address the dissonance.  In my home town, the trustees voted to give the organist lessons! (Certainly the 5 - 10% of churches which pay living wages to their directors don't fit in this discussion.  That's a topic for another day.)
     So, dear friends, all you colleagues, how did we end up in a profession where we're expected to hit one hundred per cent of the notes and where any mistake is LOUD? And where we play thousands of notes every week and often hear only grumbles when our "batting average" sinks below 900? Life is unfair, but this is ridiculous!

     The rest of you: be kind to your organists.
     BTW, be sure to comment anonymously if you wish to discuss an issue in your church life. I'll be pleased to listen to you and, perhaps, be able to help.


     Talk to you next week.  Donna


P.S.  Spring Training started this week!

7 comments:

  1. Donna, I agree with your latest blog on the absurdity of salaries for baseball (and all sports) players compared with "real" jobs such as organist. The priorities and values in our society are certainly skewed. What if a teacher only suceeded with 30% of his/her students, or a pilot only landed the plane successfully 30% of the time???? Or 70% of a surgeon's patients died on the operating table? Why our culture elevates sports figures to the level of gods and pays them such exorbitant salaries is beyond me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Donna-- Great Post! I'm grateful for your ministry of music. I look forward to reading your blog regularly. Peace, Doug

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kevin, former neighborFebruary 18, 2011 at 6:56 PM

    Hello Donna from the other side of the world!

    China has blocked your site (organist are a dangerous, subversive lot you must surely know! ; ) ) but I use a vpn to stick it to 'the man'

    Great piece of writing, I remember your saying it was one of your passions, alongside the organ and the Rays, oh yeah, and Ed of course.

    Yep, baseball players are paid a ridiculous amount of money and turns me off the game. Though I love to remember the days of old, a little boy going to see the Cleveland Indians at Municipal Stadium along Lake Erie, eating foot-long hot dogs and nachos, getting ready to shout, 'Juuuuuuulio Franco' whenever my favorite player came to the plate.

    My last season on the diamond, I was 13 years old and managed one hit the entire season. I was so shocked that I stepped off of first and they tagged me out...the horror...the horror.

    Every time I hear the Phantom play (a better verb would be...?) the organ, I will think of the only other organist I know by name!

    Would give you a link to my own blog - but its all in Chinese - would look like a bunch of Egyptian hieroglyphics minus the little pictures!

    Look forward to reading more.

    Shanghai Smith

    ReplyDelete
  4. Greetings! I was glad to see your blog this evening. You and your readers may be interested in my web log on the general subject of church music called The Concerned Church Musician. There you will find certain issues pertaining to the church music field talked about quite openly. There is also a manifesto of sorts, setting forth some proposed options for action. You can find the blog at < www.concernedchurchmusician.blogspot.com >

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your blog! All the strikes, pay issues and other non-sense that goes on in professional sports (not just baseball but football, etc) is one reason I like minor leage baseball. The other reason -- I can sit behind home plate and I can actually see what's going on -- in a major league stadium, I couldn't afford the home seats if they were available and the other seats, well -- hard to see -- the baseball turns into a period (.) that can hurt if it lands on you (I had one almost take out my right kidney at the Atlanta Stadium. I had gotten up and was starting down the aisle, when the baseball landed in the seat. The ball stuck in the seat -- no after bounce.

    If I were the organist, I am not to sure that I would have stayed but that is me. Do organs get out of tune? Could that be a part of it?

    S.Berry

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Donna-

    Congratulations on getting your blog up and running. I will try to look in as often as I can, but I also must keep up with my old college room mate, who has a moderately successful blog established, and I have to struggle to keep up with his daily articles.

    My point in writing today is to say that-yes, in fact, organists DO get fired. It happened to me once, courtesy of a boss who was a recovering alcoholic with a Napoleonic complex. The lack of job security in the field of church music would make several days worth of good grist for the blog mill, surely.

    Good luck with the writing, and may your readership increase many fold!

    -Paul-

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Paul. You bring up the fact that church work is not for the timid. Yes, church musicians often deal with unbalanced bosses who don't have to report to any civic authority. They often operate behind closed doors. I'm sorry you had to experience that unpleasant and unprofessional situation. Blessings, Donna

    ReplyDelete