The Organist-Choir Director

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Ah, Eh, Ee, Oh, Oo




It's that time of year, Lent, when choir directors dig out their most somber choral pieces – slow, no jerky rhythmic sections, composed (usually) in a minor key, and often sung in Latin. Ordinary singers – well, let me be clear. No singer is, by definition, strictly ordinary. It's just that some are less ordinary, so-to-speak.  Why? They can read music (or else!), they get remunerated in cold cash often just for showing up, and they know to smile when I hand out an anthem with a Latin text.

Now back to my premise. Ordinary singers are ordinary, so they are allowed, even expected to complain when the text is not printed in English. Something like this:

Me, speaking in an upbeat, positive tone:

     "I know you're going to enjoy rehearsing this lovely four-part harmonization from Mozart's Requiem, the Lacrymosa . Tonight we'll concentrate on the words.  There's plenty of time to work on the notes in the next rehearsals. Now, now, don't worry. I'll help you with the pronunciation. In no time, you'll love it as much as I do.

Ordinary Singer, wearing a grimace which forecasts her words:
      "I doubt it, but bring it on. It's all Greek to me anyway."

Me, not sure if O.S. is joking or not:
      "No, dear, Latin, Laaa – tiiin." I've learned over time never to assume humor. Volunteer singers' time and effort should be rewarded with appreciative support and earnest dedication by the director. Never, ever, risk losing a volunteer with a less-than-politic remark! (Add a chuckle here.)

Me:
      "Let's listen to this recording. While you're listening, watch the Latin text. (I play video.)
I continue: "Now let's use some elbow grease on those Latin vowels before we practice the text. Just listen, then repeat after me. " (Now, I'm singing on one pitch.)  Several look confused; one tenor appears in pain.  I sing "Ahhh". The choir sings "Ahhh", then continues to repeat after me. "Ehhh, Eeee, Ohhh, Oooo."

Me: "That's good. Let's try the vowels all together, still on one note."  All sing: "Ahhh, Ehhh, Eeee, Ohhh, Oooo."

Me"Hey, you've got it. Splendid! Vowels are the core part of singing Latin. Now let's follow the text I've written out phonetically for you." I distribute papers. We sing-song the Latin text together.

          "Lah – cree - moh - sah, Dee - ehhz  Eee – lah
          Coo – ah reh - zoo – jeht  egs - fah – vee – lah
          Joo – dee – cahn – doos  hoh – moh  reh- oos"

The rehearsal continues until I observe eyes glazing over and people yawning. Still maintaining a positive, motivational tone, I say:

     "Now, if you are good and faithful choir members and you practice your Latin - remember every traffic stoplight is an opportunity to sing-song your Latin vowels - this is what we'll sound like when we present our Lacrymosa on April 10th." I play Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra and Chorus

     "Oh, by the way, I checked.  And, toooo baaad.  The Viennese orchestra is unavailable for our performance. But, not to worry! I'll accompany you on the organ and I promise to hit 95% of the notes!"  Several choristers applaud and others fist-pump in my direction.


Wiener Konzerthaus - Vienna Concert House
Choir rehearsal draws to a close. I promise all my beloved, long-suffering singers their own personal future reward or "requiem" which, in Latin, means "eternal rest".
                                                               
                                                                         *   *   *

May you have a restful week - but don't leave earth yet.  Come back next Thursday!

Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment