The Organist-Choir Director

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Random Hallelujahs



     Any idea how many times you've heard, sung or directed the Hallelujah Chorus (HC)?  Why is it so popular?  A great work of art?  Tradition?  Historical - a reminder of our country's British roots?  Or is it part of what is labeled culture?

         "Messiah" by George Frideric Handel is perhaps the most recognizable classical choral music in the world. The HC is only a small part of the three hour long oratorio. Part I is the announcement of the coming Messiah – what we know as Advent and Christmas. Part II, which deals with the Messiah's  sacrifice, death, and resurrection, concludes with the HC.

    Why is the HC, part of the Easter section of  "Messiah", sandwiched into the Advent or Part I for a holiday sing? Is the same person who dreamed up those “Sing-along Messiah” get-togethers to blame?  But getting out of the house on a weekend afternoon to participate in an activity which encourages deep breathing, social interaction and mental stimulation can't be all that bad. Besides, clear consonant harmonies encourage long life, don't they?

     Do you detect a love-hate relationship with HC?  Many times I've struggled to fit parts of "Messiah" into a Sunday worship service. Oh, it wouldn't be Christmas/Easter without the Hallelujah Chorus, I've been told. But I was never comfortable. Why?   It's a difficult piece for the average choir; there are many passages with notes that jump octaves or demand instrumental-like flexibility.  Need I add that an organist-choir director is equally challenged to play an orchestral reduction while keeping the singers together?

     "Messiah"'s first performance in London was in a secular setting, not in a church. King George II attended that 1742 performance.  For some reason – he was tired of sitting? - the King stood as the first notes of the HC sounded. Naturally, his subjects rose.  So 269 years later, folks wonder if they should stand when they hear the start of the HC!

     Since the HC is performed worldwide, the Internet is jammed with examples. I've chosen a few for your consideration.
  • HC 1   Here's an average rendition.  Energetic, operatic-sounding.  I do object to the Hallelu-JAHs. The way the lyrics are set to quick notes makes it difficult to sing a sustained choral sound.
  • HC 2   Part of an evening's entertainment.  Notice the soloists' outfits.  The audience rises, just like King George II.  Andre Rieu appears to be following the ensemble rather than leading it.
  • HC 3   Viewer discretion advised.  If you don't want to see/hear the iconic HC spoofed, don't open this link.
  • HC 4   Professional choir at Trinity Church in New York City.  Musically, it's ordinary.  But I appreciate the singers' attempts to not leap off the JAHs.  Notice how some are even leaning forward to emphasize halle-LOO-jah instead of hallelu-JAH.
  • HC 5  Random Act of Culture at Macy's with the Opera Company of Philadelphia and the glorious Wanamaker organ.  For pure sound and joy, you can't beat this one.  I'll go for sound over perfection any time.  Note:  the video will skip and buffer unless you adjust to a lower resolution.  On the lower right of the window, I adjusted mine down to 240p.

                                                                                *     *     *

     When my mother-in-law was ninety-five-years old, my husband asked her if we could accompany her to mass. We were on our semi-annual visit to Cambridge, MA and I liked attending Sacred Heart to hear their men and boy's choir.
     "No, I guess not,"  she replied.  "The priest says I don't have to go any more."

     Maybe like my mother-in-law, I've reached my "quota" of Hallelujah choruses. Or must I attain age ninety-five before I receive my dispensation?

     Wishing you a blessed week.  Hallelujah!

No comments:

Post a Comment